Monday 12 March 2012

Why am I not sleepy?

I am unable to sleeeeeeep :( which is odd for me as I usually try to sleep at any chance I get! I think it may be because of my English Literature coursework deadline which is this Friday.. My heart goes out to all the people who are enduring the same nervousness as me when it comes to English. I often ask myself why I took it, I mainly come to the conclusion that I love poetry. We are currently doing Carol Ann Duffy's collection "The World's Wife" which I am really enjoying. As I love ancient history I understand this collection more as within the collection she uses myth subversions. For example, Mrs Sisyphus. Sisyphus himself was son of Aeolus, the king of Thessaly and Enarete. Sisyphus chose to live a life of crime and so this led him to revealing the secrets of the gods. In Greek mythology it was never a good idea to trick or anger the gods and so Sisyphus had to pay for his actions. However he was a cunning man, so cunning in fact that he chained up Thanatos, the god of death, in order to live. Finally Hades gets involved and Sisyphus is punished. He must roll a gigantic boulder up a steep hill in the Underworld everyday, but unfortunately by the time Sisyphus reaches the top, the boulder rolls back down and he must do it all over again. Carol Ann Duffy's poem "Mrs Sisyphus" is the woman's side of the story and this is what happens in every poem within the collection, women get a chance to voice their opinions.

I have basically just told myself a good night story.. lol Anyways I am off to count sheep!

Good night x



No comments:

Post a Comment